Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What Healthcare Professionals are Saying about Heart Hugger


“Over half our patients are released by the fifth post-operative day and many by the fourth post-operative day. I believe this is due in a large part to the fact that we have a device available which allows the patient to continue aggressive coughing and deep breathing at home, with much less discomfort.” “I strongly believe that the support harness has played the major role in preventing sternal wound separation.”
“I am impressed that as I have followed up my patients in the office, they have continued to comment that the Heart Hugger appliance made their convalescence much easier at home, and that they have continued to use it beyond hospitalization.”
"I have been a cardiothoracic surgeon for over twenty years practicing heart surgery in Ohio. I have used the Heart Hugger on many of my patients. Recently I underwent a full sternotomy with a cardiac procedure and I learned through my experience the benefits of the Heart Hugger. The stability obtained by having the chest wall circumferentially supported with the Heart Hugger was vitally important to me when moving and changing positions. It was of most benefit during coughing and sneezing spells. I wore my Heart Hugger continuously for two weeks following surgery. At night while sleeping coughing spells were unbearable without it. I now recommend the Heart Hugger for all of my patients and request that they have it placed soon after extubation."  
“Heart Hugger helps my patients get well faster by giving them the confidence to cough, knowing they will not suffer from doing so.”
The Heart Hugger is utilized virtually on all our heart surgery patients starting on the second post-operative day. We ran a clinical trial on 20 patients ourselves prior to usage and found the device helpful. The device allows the patient to take deeper breaths while providing both lateral and frontal support. It is also particularly helpful in allowing the patient to get in and out of bed without assistance, thus lessening the complication of immobilizations.
“I have been an open heart nurse for the past 15 years. I’ve done the sheets folded in a pillow case . . . the sternal pillows . . . I’ve instructed to hug and have hugged at times! In my opinion, none of these procedures can compete with Heart Hugger. As a clinican I have seen the difference in my patient’s faces, progress and use of pain medication.”
“I have used the support harness in over 100 consecutive open heart surgical patients . . . I had enough time to observe its efficacy when compared with the other conventional methods of chest protection including holding a pillow. I find the patients who have used this harness are able to take deeper breaths and cough much more effectively. I also see that the patients have excellent pain relief . . . I clearly am in favor of using Heart Hugger on a routine basis.”
“I am writing on behalf of my patients who use the device called the Heart Hugger. It has been such a positive asset to their recovery. I recommend and prescribe it for all my open heart patients. This device has been particularly beneficial to the patients who are undergoing repeat coronary artery bypass grafting or valve replacements. They testify that their recoveries have been much quicker while using Heart Hugger compared to prior surgeries when the device was not available.”
“To prevent dehiscence and to reduce pain postoperatively…hospitals issue heart-shaped pillows and teddy bears for the purpose, this splints the wound in one plane only. One case of unusual sternal non-union . . . led the physical therapy team on our cardiac rehabilitation unit to investigate a more effective mechanical means to stabilize the thoracic cage. The principle method employed was a relatively inexpensive sternum support harness, Heart Hugger, which was used by patients with complaints of sternal pain, or with signs of wound dehiscence or instability . . . Since the patient can wear the harness continuously it has the advantage of being available when the need arises, for instance, during therapy, or when the patient wakes up at night.”
Peg Meisler, Physical Therapist, West Haverstraw, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment